Friday 7 November 2014

I Saw The Light Fading Out

My last days in Sheffield meant I just had to do a walk I've done many times before - a firm favourite, with, in my opinion, the grandest view in the Peak... the walk around Grindsbrook. The forecast was for low cloud clearing as the sun raced towards the horizon, which gave me lots of hope for some very dramatic photo opportunities. As it happened, the sun never got close to showing itself and, if anything, the cloud just got thicker and lower - I counted myself lucky that I was above the rain level.

Still, this thick fog gave me something else to do. There are few places in the north of England where you can escape from other people quite like Kinder Scout. Normally this requires making the hop across the peat bogs to the northern edge, where you can go hours on end without seeing so much as a trace of another person - but in weather like this, I knew it was a safe bet that I'd have the mountain to myself (bar the footprints of the lone fell runner I saw descending as I set off).

So, no sunset for me, but an intriguing challenge to collect a set of photos as the light faded that I'd be proud of - as a fitting end to my regular visits to this most dramatic part of the world. 






No comments:

Post a Comment